Sunday, August 14, 2011

Songs of the Week: August 7-13

Songs of the week for the second week in a row! I'm on a roll! Woo!

We the Kings: Say You Like Me -- As mentioned last week, I recently saw We the Kings live. Absolutely amazing show. Consequently, I have continued listening to them obsessively. "Say You Like Me," from their new album Sunshine State of Mind, has been the track I've been playing most repetitively. It's sweet, it's upbeat, it's an all-around great song.

Forever the Sickest Kids: Tough Love -- Really, you can't go wrong with Forever the Sickest Kids. They're just kind of fantastic. They've got a bit more edge to them than a lot of pop-punk bands, and I dig that.

Every Avenue: Girl Like That -- Not going to lie, this song cracks me up. And I don't think it's intended to be a funny song. It's about being into a girl you don't think you can have, and not knowing what to do about it. Pretty typical fare, right? And then there's the chorus:

"I would make a move if there was a chance she'd let me in. I would make a move if I thought there was a chance she'd let me in. What can you do with a girl like that? Taking everything giving nothing back. Stuck between her legs when she sets her trap, what can you do with a girl like that? It's like a curse that's she's put on me, sweaty hands, shaking knees. Tell her that I want her to move too fast, that's what you do with a girl like that."

So basically, it's not even about liking this girl. It's just about wanting to sleep with her. The lack of subtlety it awesome.

Go Radio: Goodnight Moon -- In case you don't know, Go Radio is the band that Jason Lancaster, former vocalist, lyricist and guitarist of Mayday Parade, started after leaving MP. The vibe of Go Radio is very similar to Mayday Parade, except pushed to more extremes. The emo songs are emo-er, and Go Radio has an all-around heavier sound than Mayday Parade. I dig it. "Goodnight Moon" was the first Go Radio song I heard, and I love it. It's unbearably sappy, but so heartfelt that you can't help but enjoy it. Plus, I'm a sucker for any slow songs sung by Lancaster. The man legitimately has a great voice, and slow songs like "Goodnight Moon" really showcase the power and emotion his voice carries. Fantastique.

Dashboard Confessional: Stolen --Weird fact: I only listen to Dashboard Confessional in the summer. I might listen to a song or two at other times during the year, but for the most part, DC is summer music to me. No idea why. Consequently, I end up rediscovering different Dashboard songs every year, and this year I've found myself once again head over heels in love with "Stolen." I honestly think it's one of the most romantic songs ever. Really, who doesn't want to be told that they've stolen someone's heart?

Tune in for next week's songs!

No comments:

Post a Comment