Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Songs of the Week: September 11-20

So, since it took me a couple extra days to get around to this post, I've extended the span of the week. Don't worry about it. Here we go.

Paramore: Monster -- Paramore's most popular single of recent days is "The Only Exception." I do not like that song. At all. In fact, it bugs the heck out of me. I think Hayley Williams voice sounds flat, the lyrics are trite, and musically, it just isn't very Paramore-esque. Luckily, Paramore recorded the song "Monster" for the Transformers: Dark of the Moon soundtrack. This song, in my book, makes up for the awfulness that was "The Only Exception." The video is pretty cool, too.

Flyleaf: Circle -- Personally, I think Flyleaf is a horribly underrated band. Why they've never gotten more recognition, I have no idea. This song is from the band's second album, Memento Mori, which I think kind of kicks the ass of their first album. Flyleaf upped the heaviness on Memento Mori, but somehow managed to make their sound smoother at the same time. It's fantastic. Most noticeably, though, singer Lacey Sturm's voice came a long way from Flyleaf. It's especially evident on "Circle" that developed more control of her vocals; on the first album, Sturm's voice was strong, but often sounded like she was just yelling on some notes. This time around, she executes the high, powerful notes flawlessly.

D.R.U.G.S.: Sex Life -- Love this song. Love Craig Owens (in case I've never mentioned it). That's all.

The Postal Service: Such Great Heights -- This song will never, ever, ever get old for me. Just go listen to it. So lovely.

The Hoosiers: Made to Measure -- So, this song was actually on a playlist that I downloaded, and I am now obsessed with it. Fun, catchy, etc. etc. Now, if someone could just tell me how the British manage to be so good at this style of music...

Louis XIV: Pledge of Allegiance -- Oh, Louis XIV, how I heart you. So dirty, so fun, talented. Louis XIV does, in fact, rank as one of the best bands I've seen live. They have such a "don't give a f**k" attitude, and it comes out in both their recordings and their onstage presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment